UFC 289 has its pay-per-view (PPV) co-main event.
UFC 288 on May 6, 2023, was originally set to feature a pivotal Lightweight contender clash between the former champion, Charles Oliveira (33-9, 1 no contest), and Beneil Dariush (22-4-1). Unfortunately for Dariush, Oliveira suffered an injury, forcing his withdrawal for the second time between the pair.
Luckily for “Benny,” the fight has now been officially rebooked as he was hoping. UFC announced today (Thurs., April 20, 2023) that the pair are now set to collide at UFC 289 on June 10, 2023, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
“At this point, I’m just trying to be as prepared as possible because I’m not very confident this guy’s gonna show up, right?” Dariush told ESPN before the announcement. “So, I just try to be as prepared as possible for whoever shows up. May 6, I was actually willing to fight just about anybody. I offered to fight Arman Tsarukyan and I didn’t realize it but there’s a lot of Welterweight options, too. I was open to that but I didn’t even know about ‘em yet.”
A win for Dariush would very likely lock up his first career UFC title shot by extending his current win streak to nine in a row. Oliveira will enter fresh off the heels of a tough title defeat to the now-champion, Islam Makhachev. Makhachev finished Oliveira in round two of their Oct. 2022 meeting, submitting the submission master with an arm-triangle choke (watch highlights).
Check out the current UFC 289 line up below:
- 135 lbs.: (C)Amanda Nunes vs. Julianna Pena
- 155 lbs.: Charles Oliveira vs. Beneil Dariush
- 170 lbs.: Stephen Thompson vs. Michel Pereira
- 125 lbs.: Miranda Maverick vs. Jasmine Jasudavicius
- 185 lbs.: Eryk Anders vs. Marc-André Barriault
- 115 lbs.: Diana Belbiţă vs. Maria Oliveira
- 145 lbs.: Blake Bilder vs. Kyle Nelson
- 125 lbs.: Matt Schnell vs. David Dvořák
- 145 lbs.: Dan Ige vs. Nate Landwehr
- 145 lbs.: Hakeem Dawodu vs. Lucas Almeida
- 135 lbs.: Aiemann Zahabi vs. Aoriqileng
- 185 lbs.: Chris Curtis vs. Nassourdine Imavov
- 205 lbs.: Chris Daukaus vs. Khalil Rountree Jr.
- 170 lbs.: Mike Malott vs. Adam Fugitt
This poll is closed
To check out the latest and greatest UFC 289 fight card and rumors click here.