Kelvin Gastelum has his next opponent after missing out on the first Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) event of 2023.
MMAmania.com’s Alex Behunin confirmed today (Mon., Jan. 23, 2023) that a Middleweight tilt between Gastelum (17-8, 1 NC) and Chris Curtis (30-9) has been added to UFC 287 on April 8, 2023. The location for the event has yet to be determined, but rumors have circulated pointing at Brooklyn, N.Y., as the most likely option at present.
Gastelum, 31, was supposed to compete on Jan. 14, 2023, in the promotion’s first main event of the year against Nassourdine Imavov. Unfortunately, Gastelum suffered a tooth injury in training when taking a knee to the mouth. The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 17 winner will look to snap a two-fight losing streak after going 1-5 in his last six appearances.
Curtis, on the other hand, has been nearly flawless in his UFC career thus far, winning four of his five bouts with three ending via (technical) knockout. “Action Man” last earned a big win over Joaquin Buckley at UFC 282 in Dec. 2022, finishing “New Mansa” in round two (watch highlights).
Check out the current UFC 287 line up below:
- 185 lbs.: Kelvin Gastelum vs. Chris Curtis
- 135 lbs.: Rob Font vs. Adrian Yanez
- 115 lbs.: Cynthia Calvillo vs. Lupita Godinez
- 115 lbs.: Michelle Waterson vs. Luana Pinheiro
- 155 lbs.: Ignacio Bahamondes vs. Nikolas Motta
- 135 lbs.: Raul Rosas Jr. vs. Christian Rodriquez
- 145 lbs: Shayilan Nuerdanbieke vs. Steve Garcia