The upcoming Bellator 283 event, which is set to go down on July 22, 2022, in Tacoma, Wash., has lost its main event. According to MMA Fighting, Patricky Pitbull will be unable to defend his Lightweight title against Sidney Outlaw after he was forced out with an injury.
While details of the injury remain scarce, the report stated that the Brazilian champion could return to training in two weeks. That said, it won’t be enough to allow him to prepare for his first-ever title defense against such a dangerous opponent.
Pitbull won the vacant belt left behind by his brother, Patricio Pitbull, by defeating Peter Queally at Bellator 270 in Nov. 2021. As for Outlaw, he earned his shot at the strap by going 3-1 inside the Bellator cage, racking up wins over Roger Huerta, Adam Piccolotti and Myles Jury.
For now, Bellator has not announced a replacement bout as the headliner, though it is very possible that the co-main event bout between Douglas Lima and Jason Jackson could very well be bumped up to the top spot. The card also features a Lightweight fight between Usman Nurmagomedov and Chris Gonzalez.
To check out the latest Bellator MMA-related news and notes be sure to hit up our comprehensive news archive right here.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage