Contender Series will make its return tomorrow night (Tues., July 26, 2022) with an almost- full slate of fights featuring contenders hoping to earn a contract with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).
Almost full because things didn’t get off on the right foot for one UFC hopeful.
Willian Souza — who competes in the bantamweight division — missed weight by a whopping 10 pounds for his scheduled bout against Farid Basharat. As a result, Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) had no choice but to cancel the fight.
With a record of 11-1 with all wins coming by way of stoppage, Souza — who also competes at featherweight — was a great prospect heading into the event. Now, there is no telling if he will get another chance to impress Dana White and Co. at a later date given his massive scale fail.
Headlining the latest Contender Series card — which will go down inside UFC Apex and steam on ESPN+ — will be a middleweight fight between Legacy Fighting Alliance (LFA) champion, Osman Diaz (7-1) and Joseph Pyfer (8-2).
For more Contender Series news and notes, be sure to hit up our comprehensive archive right here.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage