Tito Ortiz failed to make weight for his Anderson Silva boxing match, scheduled for the Triller: “Legends II” pay-per-view (PPV) co-main event this Sat. night (Sept. 11, 2021) inside Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida.
“The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” tipped the scale at 200 pounds on Friday morning, a full five pounds over the contracted catchweight limit of 195 pounds. Ortiz will forfeit 20-percent of his purse, payable directly to Silva.
Can’t say we didn’t see it coming.
“It’s fucking difficult,” Ortiz told MMA Fighting about his weight cut. “It’s challenging. You have to understand, five weeks ago I was 240. I was comfortable and I didn’t realize what I was gonna be doing. I’m willing to give a little bit of money not to kill myself. I want to make sure I’ll be able to fight, I want to make sure I can perform at the capacity I’m able to do.”
Silva vs. Ortiz is scheduled for eight rounds in the cruiserweight division.
This weekend’s “Legends II” event will be headlined by the heavyweight showdown between Evander Holyfield and Vitor Belfort. Elsewhere on the card, David Haye battles Joe Fournier in heavyweight action, while Andy Vences and Jono Carroll hook ‘em up at super featherweight.
For much more on “Holyfield vs. Belfort” as well as all the boxing news and fight coverage that’s fit to print click here.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage