Former UFC heavyweight title contender Alistair Overeem recently signed a multi-year deal with GLORY kickboxing and won’t be dicking around with any warm-up fights. “Demolition Man” today announced his Oct. 23 debut opposite reigning division champion Rico Verhoeven.
That means fans will have to wait for a third Badr Hari fight.
“Me and Badr fought twice ... he doesn’t hold the title,” Overeem told The MMA Hour. “This is a prestige fight, of course, but he doesn’t hold the title. So of course I’m gonna go as high as possible and that’s Rico. It’s gonna be big. The circle will be complete.”
GLORY: “Collision 3” takes place Oct. 23 at GelreDome in Arnhem, Netherlands, streaming live on internet pay-per-view (PPV) via GLORYFights.com.
Overeem, 41, is no stranger to kickboxing, having captured victories over the likes of Hari, as well as Gokhan Saki and Tyron Spong, just to name a few. “Demolition Man” took home the K-1 World Grand Prix title back in 2010 by stopping Peter Aerts.
“I want to congratulate Alistair on getting the fight,” Verhoeven told The MMA Hour. “I think this is the fight everybody wants but not everybody gets. I think it’s a huge deal for him but for me it’s just another day at the office, so it’s gonna be fun.”
Verhoeven, 32, has won 14 straight with eight knockouts.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage