Claressa Shields made an impressive mixed martial arts (MMA) debut earlier this year at PFL 4 by defeating Brittney Elkin via third round technical knockout (TKO). Now, the former pro boxing champion is gearing up for her sophomore effort inside the cage.
Professional Fighters League (PFL) confirmed that Shields will face Abigail Montes at the upcoming massive championship event scheduled for Oct. 27, 2021 inside Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Fla. Montes is just 2-0 in her pro MMA career — with one fight coming under the Combate Americas banner — so the experience level in the sport won’t be a big difference.
Shields will obviously have the striking edge here being a two-time Olympic gold medalist and going undefeated as a pro boxer (11-0), racking up three separate division titles in the process. Training at Jackson-Wink, Shields is getting all the knowledge and training she needs from world-class MMA fighters in order to show the world that she is far from a one-trick pony.
The event will be the biggest of the year for PFL since it will crown six tournament champions that night, as well as award six $1 million prizes.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage