Things got weird during the Cruiserweight championship co-main event at Bare Knuckle FC 18 from Hard Rock Seminole in Hollywood, Fla., last night (Sat., June 26, 2021). Following a long night of brutal action, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) veterans Hector Lombard and Joe Riggs faced off for the 225-pound BKFC belt only for controversy to erupt.
The fight saw Lombard come out strong early, only for Riggs to start turning things around as the fight wore on. One minute into round four, Riggs had Lombard hurt and was pressing the attack. Lombard grabbed Riggs’ shorts during a clinch, and when the referee stepped in to break the illegal hold, Hector cracked his opponent with a left that sent Riggs to the canvas holding his eye. What was initially called an eye poke was then ruled a legal blow and Lombard walked away with the BKFC Cruiserweight title.
As if that wasn’t unusual enough, when fellow BKFC Cruiserweight Lorenzo Hunt stepped into the ring and got in Lombard’s face to hype up a potential fight, Lombard reacted ... poorly, hitting Hunt with two quick shots. Hunt was too stunned to react. Riggs picked up Lombard and scooted him into a corner. So, hey, at least a complete brawl didn’t erupt?
Here’s video of the incident:
✍️ Don’t ✍️ Interrupt ✍️ Hector’s ✍️ Interview pic.twitter.com/Q2UpRYuMqK— Bare Knuckle FC (@bareknucklefc) June 27, 2021
In other news of interest from BKFC 18, Thiago Alves survived an absolute war against Ulysses Diaz for the BKFC Middleweight title when doctors stopped the fight after the third round. Alves and Diaz beat each others’ faces to mush, but it was Diaz’s face that ended the contest.
Eduardo Conception lands a five-second knockout win over Gabriel Brown to start the event:
Our girl Pearl Gonzalez’s walkout was definitely ... something. As was the hematoma she put on Charisa Sigala en route to a unanimous decision win:
Pearl Gonzalez makes her BKFC Debut! pic.twitter.com/rY9ifCHcr4— Bare Knuckle FC (@bareknucklefc) June 27, 2021
Main Card Results
- Joey Beltran def. Sam Shewmaker via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 48-47) (for BKFC heavyweight title)
- Hector Lombard def. Joe Riggs via TKO (doctor stoppage) – Round 4, 1:07 (for BKFC cruiserweight title)
- Thiago Alves def. Ulysses Diaz via TKO (doctor stoppage) – Round 3, 5:00 (for BKFC middleweight title)
- Luis Palomino def. Tyler Goodjohn via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 50-45) (for BKFC lightweight title)
- Pearl Gonzalez def. Charisa Sigala via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 50-45)
- Julian “Let Me Bang Bro” Lane defeated Jake Bostwick via unanimous decision (50-44, 50-43, 48-45)
- Jarod Grant def. Travis Thompson via TKO (doctor stoppage) – Round 4, 0:35
- Eddie Hoch def. Bruce Lutchmedial via unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 49-46)
- Steve Herelius def. Juan Torres via split decision (48-47, 47-48, 49-46)
- Francisco Ricchi def. Brian Maxwell via TKO – Round 2, 1:25
‘Prelims’ Under Card Results
- Montaser Aboughaly def. Luke Parson via knockout – Round 1, 0:34
- Famez def. Paul Teague via knockout – Round 1, 0:17
- Yosdenis Cedeno def. Alan Arzeno via split decision (49-46, 46-49, 49-46)
- Eduardo Conception def. Gabriel Brown via knockout – Round 1, 0:05
For all the bareknuckle fighting-related news and notes you can handle click here.