Former UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum was forced to withdraw from the PFL 2021 tournament after a neurological exam revealed swelling in the brain. “Vai Cavalo” is coming off a controversial “No Contest” opposite Renan Ferreira back on May 6.
“I’ve hidden many injuries to be able to fight when I was in my 20s, but now I need to prioritize my health and listen to the [doctor],” Werdum said in a prepared release (via MMA Fighting). “I want to be able to enjoy my daughters and see them growing, and that’s the right thing to do at the moment. I’m fine, and I’ll be able to return to training soon.”
Werdum, 43, holds a professional record of 24-9-1 (1 NC) and has only been stopped three times by way of knockout/technical knockout. His former opponent, Brandon Sayles, will move on to fight Denis Goltsov at PFL 6 on June 25.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage