Taila Santos helped end a dreaded decision streak earlier tonight (Sat., Nov. 20, 2021) at UFC Vegas 43 live on ESPN+ from inside UFC Apex in Las Vegas, Nevada, when the women’s flyweight contender stopped veteran Joanne Calderwood via first-round submission (rear-naked choke).
Santos looked sharp in the early going and ended up catching Calderwood a few times on the feet. Calderwood defended along the cage and survived for as long as she could. After gaining top control on the ground later into the round Santos was able to work her way towards Calderwood’s back and sink in the submission finish.
Check out the video highlights above courtesy of UFC/ESPN.
Santos, 28, is now 4-1 inside of the Octagon since making her debut back in 2019. She has showcased a devastating striking game while giving opponents little time to unleash their own offense. It may have happened quicker than expected, but Santos is a bona fide title contender entering 2022, especially in a women’s flyweight division depleted by current UFC champion Valentina Shevchenko.
For complete UFC Vegas 43 results and coverage click HERE.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage