Brian Ortega cemented himself as the top featherweight contender by outclassing fellow 145-pound title hopeful Chan Sung Jung as part of the UFC Fight Island 6 main event last October in Abu Dhabi. As a result, “T-City” will move forward and challenge defending champion Alexander Volkanovski at UFC 260 on March 27.
And he’ll do it as the +170 underdog.
That’s according to Bet365, which has the champion pegged as the -200 favorite. Their five-round pay-per-view (PPV) showdown does not have a city or venue just yet, but is expected to take place at APEX in Las Vegas or Etihad Arena in Abu Dhabi.
Prior to burying “The Korean Zombie,” Ortega (15-1, 1 NC) suffered the first defeat of his professional career in a lopsided loss to Max Holloway at UFC 231, but the improvement on display against Jung has most of the MMA fanbase convinced “T-City” can give the champ a run for his money.
As for Volkanovski (22-1), who sounds relieved to have a fresh opponent, “The Great” captured the featherweight crown from Holloway at UFC 245 back in late 2019, then defended it against “Blessed” in a closely-contested rematch at UFC 251 the following summer.
Perhaps the resurgent Hawaiian can get the winner or Volkanovski-Ortega later this year?
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage