UFC 252 injuries and medical suspensions for the athletes who competed at the “Miocic vs Cormier 3”-led event this past weekend (Sat., Aug. 15, 2020) from inside UFC APEX in Las Vegas, Nevada, have been released by Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC).
And while Daniel Cormier didn’t exactly leave the door open for a possible return to action after announcing his retirement following his second straight defeat to Stipe Miocic (see it here), he will have to ride the pine for at least six months before he can even think about coming back should he feel compelled to scratch the itch.
“D.C.” suffered a torn left cornea after an eye poke he suffered at the hands of the Heavyweight champion. As a result, he was hit with a six-month medical suspension, which could be shorter if cleared by an ophthalmologist.
Miocic also suffered an eye poke during the trilogy fight and must be cleared by a retinal specialist before he can resume training in anticipation of his next title defense, which will come against hard-hitting big man, Francis Ngannou.
Here is the complete list of injuries and suspensions via The Underground.
- Miocic must have retinal specialist clearance on left eye; minimum suspension no contest until 09/30/20, no contact until 09/15/20
- Cormier must have left eye cleared by an ophthalmologist or no contest until 02/12/21; minimum suspension no contest until 09/30/20, no contact until 09/15/20
- O’Malley must have orthopedic Dr clearance on right ankle or no contest until 02/12/21; minimum suspension no contest until 09/30/20, no contact until 09/15/20
- Dos Santos must have laceration under left eye cleared by a Dr or no contest until 10/15/20, no contact until 09/30/20
- Pineda suspended until 09/30/20 No contact until 09/15/20 – left eyebrow laceration
- Burns suspended until 09/30/20 No contact until 09/15/20 – right eyebrow laceration
- Miller must have cut on bridge of nose cleared by Dr or no contest until 09/30/20, no contact until 09/15/20
- Brown must have left orbital fracture cleared by an ophthalmologist or no contest until 02/12/21; minimum suspension no contest until 09/15/20, no contact until 09/06/20
- Porter suspended until 09/15/20 No contact until 09/06/20
- Kamaka must have facial lacerations cleared by Dr or no contest until 09/30/20, no contact until 09/15/20
- Kelly suspended until 09/15/20, No contact until 09/06/20 forehead laceration
Just a quick reminder: Fighters often return to action much quicker once doctors give them the green light. The lengthy suspensions are just a precaution in most cases. In addition, not all injuries are recorded during the post-fight examination and often times surface in follow-up tests.
For complete UFC 252 results and fight coverage click here.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage