Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson will make his return to the “sweet science” to battle former light heavyweight kingpin Roy Jones Jr. in an eight-round exhibition bout on Sat., Sept. 12, 2020 inside Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California.
That’s according to a report from Yahoo Sports.
“This isn’t a situation where they’re going out there to try to take each other’s heads off,” California State Athletic Commission Executive Director Andy Foster told Kevin Iole. “They’re just going to be in there moving around the ring and letting fans see these legends.”
Both combatants are expected to be outfitted with 12 oz. gloves.
Tyson, 54, has not competed since his Kevin McBride loss way back in 2005, but recent videos of the “Iron” man pounding the pads has renewed interest in his boxing return. As for Jones Jr., 51, his last bout was decision victory over Scott Sigmon in early 2018.
The list of prospective opponents was getting longer by the minute, as most promoters (and fellow fighters) recognized the potential for profit in a Tyson comeback. In fact, the Bare-Knuckle boys were even willing to pony up a hefty $20 million purse.
Sorry Wandy, maybe next time.
Broadcast plans have yet to be determined for “Tyson vs. Jones Jr.” but pay-per-view (PPV) seems like the obvious (and most profitable) choice.
So ... who ya’ got?
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage