Former two-division titleholder Conor McGregor is either very smart or very dumb, according to this former UFC welterweight champion, and we may find out which one based on McGregor’s next fight. “Notorious” (22-4) could hook ‘em up with Jorge Masvidal or wait and fight the winner of Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Justin Gaethje.
One earns him street cred, the other could net the UFC lightweight strap.
“The best thing for him — I’m not saying this is what’s going to happen — but in my opinion, he lets this Gaethje-Khabib fight play out and then he fights the winner,” UFC President Dana White told Talk the Talk podcast (via MMA Fighting). “I think that’s the smartest move for him. But you know him, maybe he wants to fight before that and if he does, we can figure something out. I think that’s the move for him right now.”
Khabib vs. Gaethje is expected to take place in late August or early September.
McGregor, 31, was last seen thumping Donald Cerrone at UFC 246 in January but has not competed at lightweight since losing to Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 back in October 2018 and stands just 1-1 in the 155-pound weight class.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage