clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Former UFC fighter Matt Riddle accused of sexual assault by indie wrestler, denies allegations in press release

New, 9 comments
UFC on Fuel TV Press Conference Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images

Former UFC fighter Matt Riddle has been accused of sexual assault by indie wrestler Candy Cartwright, but the current WWE star is denying all allegations.

According to Cartwright, who took to Twitter early Friday to share her story, Riddle propositioned her for sexual intercourse during a van ride full of wrestlers back in May of 2018. After denying Riddle’s advancements, Cartwright claims that the former UFC fighter forced her to perform oral sex.

Cartwright’s recount of the altercation can be seen below:

“I’m posting this because I have been so sad for so long. I didn’t realize that what he did to me was not ok. I realize now, reading these other brave women’s stories, that I can’t be afraid anymore and I have to #speakout

“Back in May of 2018 I was riding with Matt Riddle and a few other wrestlers. During the van ride, when the 3 other wrestlers had fallen asleep, Matt asked me to “hop on his d—k”. When I refused (although we had previously been together I was...”

“incredibly uncomfortable in that setting. When I said no, he grabbed me by my throat, choked me and said “what if I just made you?” I ended up giving him oral sex (praying someone wouldn’t wake up) to get out of having intercourse with him. It was incredibly humiliating.”

“It is never ok to put your hands on a woman, it’s also not ok to not listen when she says no.”

Riddle, who made his WWE main roster debut last night on SmackDown when he defeated WWE Intercontinental Champion AJ Styles (see it HERE), wasted little time posting a press release prepared by his attorney, Daniel J. Rose.

“The allegations by this independent female performer are completely false and another attempt to harass and humiliate Mr. and Mrs. Riddle and to try to tarnish their reputation in the community. We have been aware for the last two years of this performer stalking the Riddle family. In 2019, our firm had drafted a pleading against this performer to seek an injunction for cyberstalking in the Circuit Court for Orange County, Florida.”

In addition to Riddle’s response, WWE also released the following statement to CBS Sports’ Adam Silverstein on Friday.

“We take any allegation of this nature very seriously and are looking into the matter.”

In a follow-up statement, WWE conveyed the below message to Tony Maglio of The Wrap:

“Individuals are responsible for their own personal actions. WWE has zero tolerance for matters involving domestic violence, child abuse and sexual assault. Upon arrest for such misconduct, a WWE talent will be immediately suspended. Upon conviction for such misconduct, a WWE talent will be immediately terminated. WWE’s ability to fine, suspend or terminate a WWE talent will not be, however, limited or compromised in any manner in the event incontrovertible evidence of such illegal misconduct is presented to WWE.”

Riddle signed with WWE in July 2018 after a successful stint on the independent circuit. The former UFC fighter was expected to be a major part of WWE’s roster moving forward, but his future is now in limbo as this entire situation plays out.

Stick with Mania for further updates on these allegations.