Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President, Dana White, recently stated that he would stage an event on May 9, 2020, in the face of the coronavirus pandemic after he was forced to postpone UFC 249, which was set to go down last weekend (Sat., April 18, 2020) in Lemoore, California.
But, according to a recent statement released by the promotion, it has now officially postponed its next four scheduled events. The list of scratched events includes:
- UFC Fight Night 173 on April 25 in Lincoln, Nebraska
- UFC Fight Night 174 on May 2 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- UFC 250 on May 9 in Sao Paulo, Brazil
- UFC Fight Night 175 on May 16 in San Diego, California
The promotion also revealed that it planned “return with an event in the near future,” and that all purchased tickets for the canceled shows would be refunded immediately.
What that means for White’s May 9 proposed event is unclear, though it was already known that UFC 250 would not go down in Brazil because of travel restrictions around the globe. So while the determined president has stood firm in his stance to stage an event on that date — which could be dubbed UFC 249 — this most recent revelation casts doubt on those plans.
Bit of confusion, it seems, over the UFC’s release that they canceled their next four shows. May 9 (and every Saturday after that) is still their return date plan. The release was to announce that the 4/25, 5/2, 5/9 and 5/16 events won’t be happening in their original cities.— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) April 20, 2020
All signs pointed to the planned pay-per-view (PPV) extravaganza going down at UFC’s APEX facility in Las Vegas, Nevada, but a recent report stated that Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) wasn’t quite ready to commit to a timeframe as to when it would once again allow combat events to go down in the state.
Of course, White has other options in California and Florida, but if he had his preference, it’s safe to assume he’d like to have “Fight Island” up and running in three weeks time to ensure he won't have to inform the “wimpy media” that he would be postponing another event.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage