clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

First UFC fighter comes out as being tested for coronavirus

New, comments

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President, Dana White, cares about his fighters and is putting safety first during the coronavirus pandemic (just ask him, he’ll tell you). That’s why mixed martial arts (MMA) fighters under his employ are getting tested for COVID-19.

But only the ones who can make him some money.

For example, longtime UFC strawweight veteran, Randa Markos, returned from UFC Brasilia on March 17 and was not tested, despite the fact that “Quiet Storm” had been traveling internationally and came home “not feeling great.”

Hulking heavyweight fan-favorite Francis Ngannou, however, is expected to get shoehorned into an upcoming fight card after his UFC Columbus main event was put on hold. So, naturally, “The Predator” got checked out ahead of time.

I got tested, they got me tested for the COVID-19, so I guess they tested other fighters, which is kind of like a positive thing, and like, makes you feel a little bit safe to get close or along with those people,” Ngannou told Submission Radio. “It was the UFC. It was the doctor, but through the UFC. I wasn’t very worried. This thing has caused more panic than the real pain itself. We are just panicking.”

The promotion was forced to postpone three of its March fight cards after local and federal restrictions on public crowds went into effect. It is unknown yet if UFC will add new dates to its 2020 calendar or use the leftover bouts to fill up existing lineups.

“There is a chance that I can be fighting on that (UFC 249) card, but they have to settle everything down,” Ngannou said. “Like, for now, it seems like they have a location, but they have to double check and see how they can handle this event safely for people.”

UFC 249 is scheduled for April 18 at a city and venue to be named.