I know websites like to throw around those headlines like “Remember her? Don’t gasp when you see her now!” — but in this case I was genuinely shocked at the discoloration of Joanna Jedrzejczyk’s face nearly one week after UFC 248.
I guess that’s a result of her humongous hematoma (see it here).
The former UFC strawweight champion went through a grueling, five-round war against current 115-pound titleholder, Weili Zhang, last weekend in Las Vegas, Nevada, in a split-decision loss that could have gone either way (highlights here).
Here are some close ups, courtesy of Bloody Elbow:
“After the match, Joanna and I, we both met at the hospital,” Zhang said after the fight. “We arrived at the hospital almost at the same time. There was just a curtain between us. She kept crying for hours. I felt very sad. I especially wanted to comfort her. But the language barrier, I can only tell her, ‘Good job! You did very well. You are very good.’ Then she kept crying, covering her head.”
Jedrzejczyk, 32, is expected to have surgery on Monday.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage