Reigning UFC welterweight champion, Kamaru Usman, is expected to make his next title defense against 170-pound baptizer, Jorge Masvidal, at the promotion’s annual “International Fight Week” pay-per-view (PPV) event, scheduled for this July in Las Vegas.
And it comes with a twist.
“Dana White told Jim Rome that Masvidal vs. Usman is happening in Las Vegas, probably in July,” veteran reporter, Mookie Alexander, tweeted on Friday. “He also added that if Masvidal wins, they would look at possibly having his first title defense down in Miami. UFC has not had a show at the American Airlines Arena (Miami’s big venue) since 2004.”
The winner of this upcoming main event is expected to get first dibs.
Usman (16-1) is undefeated inside the Octagon, racking up 11 straight victories, including last December’s fifth-round finish over welterweight rival, Colby Covington. As for Masvidal (35-13), he filleted Nate Diaz at UFC 244 last November to notch his third straight stoppage at 170 pounds.
Early predictions on this welterweight title fight?
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage