Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight titleholder, Kamaru Usman, is so busy keeping his beef warm with top-ranked division contender, Colby Covington, that his on-again, off-again spats with Ben Askren were forced to the sidelines.
But last night, fans were reminded that yes, “Marty from Nebraska” is no fan of “Funky.”
Askren participated in Monday’s “Beat the Streets” charity wrestling event, where he was summarily dismantled by wrestling deity Jordan Burroughs. It was a one-sided shellacking that ended in a technical fall and a 11-0 shutout.
Usman was laughing his ass off.
Askren, during his heyday, was among the top wrestlers in the country and is widely-recognized as one of the greatest collegiate mat technicians in history. Burroughs, four years his junior, also ran the table in college, but went on to capture a gold medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
“Funky” can now focus on his upcoming welterweight showdown against Jorge Masvidal at UFC 239 this July in Las Vegas, with the victor (hopefully) moving on to face the winner of Usman vs. Covington at year’s end.
As for Burroughs, his transition to MMA was teased but sadly, never came to fruition.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage