The two interim title fights last night (Sat., April 13, 2019) at UFC 236 live on ESPN+ PPV from inside State Farm Arena in Atlanta, Georgia, produced some of the best championship action you’ll ever see. It was the perfect recipe of beauty and destruction that fight fans could have hoped for in what was UFC’s PPV debut on ESPN+.
The main event saw Dustin Poirier use his power punching to bloody UFC featherweight champion Max Holloway en route to capturing the interim lightweight title. The co-headliner between Israel Adesanya and Kelvin Gastelum was one of the best fights in recent memory. Both men were hurt and got dropped, yet lasted all five rounds. It was “Last Stylebender” who took home the interim middleweight strap in the end.
Both fights could easily win Fight of the Year so it was a no brainer for UFC to reward the titles clashes with Fight of the Night honors. In turn, Poirier, Holloway, Adesanya, and Gastelum will all earn an extra $50,000 for their services.
This isn’t a normal occurrence in the world of post-fight bonuses, but if you watched these fights you know damn well it was deserved.
For complete UFC 236 results and coverage click here.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage