Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion, Conor McGregor, announced his retirement from mixed martial arts (MMA) last month after promotion president, Dana White, refused to offer him a piece of the organization. That’s because, as White so eloquently put it, “Michael Jordan never owned a piece of the NBA.”
But, that doesn’t mean White and Co. can’t find other ways to make “Notorious” happy. And White expects to sit down with the power-punching Irishman — who holds multiple box-office records — at some point in the next couple of weeks to talk turkey.
Until then, should we consider McGregor to be retired from UFC?
“No,” White told 8 Las Vegas. “I think there’s some things that Conor wants. I think that Conor wants to get together, face-to-face, he and I, and we probably will in the next couple of weeks to get this thing figured out. He’s stuck on this thing where he wants a piece of the ownership. I think there’s other ways we can make him happy.”
Fortunately, McGregor is not short on options.
With Dustin Poirier and Max Holloway throwing down at UFC 236 for the interim title, reigning 155-pound titleholder, Khabib Nurmagomedov, already has his next opponent lined up. But, Tony Ferguson is expected back later this year and we always have the Nate Diaz trilogy.
Just please don’t make it a co-main event.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage