Who’s ready for Conor McGregor vs. Jose Aldo 2?
The power-punching Irishman was impressed with the energy at the UFC Fight Night 144 mixed martial arts (MMA) event last Sunday night on ESPN+, which took place inside Northeast Olympic Training Center in Fortaleza, Brazil.
So, not surprisingly, “Notorious” wants a piece of the action.
“What an amazing atmosphere at UFC Brazil,” McGregor wrote on Twitter. “I would LOVE to compete there for all the passionate Brazilian fans at some stage of my career. I was so close to securing a bout in Rio last year. It was essentially a done deal. Maybe next time. Ui Vai Morrer!!!! I’m still here.”
Aldo was the UFC Fortaleza co-headliner and quickly disposed of top division contender, Renato Moicano, by way of standing technical knockout (recap). It was his second straight finish after melting Jeremy Stephens last July.
“To me it would be great,” Aldo said at the post-fight press conference (via MMA Fighting). “I don’t know if this fight he said [would be] in Rio, but if I have that opportunity at the division above, that way I don’t have to suffer through the weight cut, I think it would be a great fight. I think in the first fight we weren’t able to show my work. He connected with a great punch, but if you have another opportunity, I think the story’s going to be different.”
McGregor stopped Aldo in just 13 seconds in their featherweight title fight at UFC 194 back in late 2015, then vacated the strap to ply his trade at lightweight, which came with a pair of fights against Nate Diaz at 170 pounds.
And let’s not forget that Floyd Mayweather fight.
It sounds like Aldo is more than willing to move up to lightweight if and when the promotion can make their second go-round a reality, and no question it could pack a soccer stadium in Brazil. The only sticking point is this proposed match up.
For complete UFC Fortaleza results and play-by-play click here.