Looks like we’re going to find out just how much of a role that wonky knee played in Francis Ngannou’s knockout win over Cain Velasquez, as the Arizona Department of Gaming wants medical clearance before the ex-champ can return to action.
Velasquez returned from an extended layoff in the UFC Phoenix main event on ESPN, but found himself crumpled in a heap after just 26 seconds of warfare (watch it). Ngannou insists it was his devastating uppercut and not a collapsable knee that led to victory.
Either way, Velasquez will remain on the shelf for six months unless a physician says otherwise.
Elsewhere on the card, Paul Felder and his collapsed lung drew an indefinite suspension, while Vicente Luque and Bryan Barberena will join Velasquez in the six-month club following their insane, back-and-forth war at 170 pounds.
Here is the complete list of UFC Phoenix medical suspensions (via MMA Fighting):
- Paul Felder: Suspended indefinitely
- Cain Velasquez: Suspended 180 days
- Cynthia Calvillo: Suspended 180 days
- Cortney Casey: Suspended 180 days
- Vicente Luque: Suspended 180 days
- Bryan Barberena: Suspended 180 days
- Jimmie Rivera: Suspended 180 days
- Luke Sanders: Suspended 180 days
- Nik Lentz: Suspended 180 days
- Ashlee Evans-Smith: Suspended 180 days
- Renan Barao: Suspended 60 days
- James Vick: Suspended 30 days
- Myles Jury: Suspended 30 days
- Aljamain Sterling: Suspended 30 days
- Scott Holtzman: Suspended 30 days
- Andrea Lee: Suspended 30 days
For compete UFC Phoenix results and play-by-play click here.