Newly-crowned Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight champion, Alexander Volkanovski, may or may not be giving former division kingpin, Max Holloway, an immediate rematch after upsetting “Blessed” at UFC 245 last weekend in Las Vegas.
Not that fighting a top contender would get the Aussie back into the cage any sooner, as “The Great” revealed a broken hand suffered at some point during his five-round affair that will require surgery and keep the featherweight title on ice until further notice.
“I broke it so I got X-rays done and I need to go into surgery tomorrow,” Volkanovski told Submission Radio. “I don’t think the operation is too crazy but there’s a couple of breaks in there, so I’m gonna have to get that sorted.”
A timeline for the champion’s return has yet to be established but there is still lots to do at 145 pounds. Top 5 contenders Zabit Magomedsharipov and Brian Ortega are at the top of the chart, with striking sensation Yair Rodriguez not far behind.
In addition, Chan Sung Jung could be right back in the mix with a big win over Frankie Edgar this weekend in Busan, though the MMA fan in me would love to see “The Korean Zombie” go to war with Holloway at some point in 2020.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage