Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President, Dana White, told the combat sports media that former lightweight champion, Conor McGregor, would get the next 155-pound title shot with a welterweight win over Donald Cerrone at UFC 246 this January in Las Vegas.
While it sucks for the rest of the division Top 5, and a point of contention for lightweights like this guy, the promotion is not going to turn down another “Notorious” payday simply to maintain the integrity of the division.
That didn’t stop Justin Gaethje from having a good laugh.
Gaethje (21-2) has been calling for a McGregor fight for several months, but the power-punching Irishman opted to challenge a fighter “The Highlight” recently beat in a heavier weight class, which is a nicer way of saying “Cowboy” is a set-up fight.
And welterweight keeps “Notorious” from having to make two weight cuts in 2019.
After getting creamed by Eddie Alvarez and Dustin Poirier, Gaethje, 31, roared back with three straight knockout victories to reestablish his place among the 155-pound elite. Currently ranked No. 4, the former World Series of Fighting (WSOF) champion is waiting for his next assignment.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage