clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Manager: Conor McGregor vehemently denies all sexual assault allegations

New, comments

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Lightweight and Featherweight champion, Conor McGregor, has been linked to not one, but two sexual assault allegations over the last year.

And while “Notorious” has been in the spotlight more for his out-of-the cage issues in 2019, when he does meet with the media he hasn’t been asked to defend himself against those claims, nor has he come out and done it on his own.

To hear his manager, Audie Attar, tell it, his company’s thought process is that they simply don’t respond to the constant rumors that are making the rounds involving any of its clients. That said, Attar did take the chance to once and for all defend Conor during a recent interview on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show.

“He vehemently denies any allegation of sexual misconduct or any wrongdoing,” Attar said. “We vehemently deny it, and he does as well. At the end of the day we know who he is, he knows who he is, and we know what the truth is.”

Furthermore, Audie was adamant that Conor is always one to admit his mistakes, much like he did last week after pleading “guilty” to assault charges after slugging an elderly man in an Irish pub already this year (video).

For what it’s worth, UFC has also rarely commented the allegations and potential ramifications, with Dana White’s rare statement revealing he was informed by Conor himself that he was being confused with another person. More recently, White admitted that all of these accusations are “not fun.”

“It’s obviously not fun,” White told ESPN. “I mean, that’s not good stuff. That’s not stuff that we’re excited to hear. And, he just plead guilty to this other thing too. So, yeah, there’s nothing going on right now. And when there is, I’ll let you guys know.”

As far as Conor’s fighting future, the former “champ-champ” recently announced that he is targeting a return date of January 18, 2020 in Las Vegas, Nevada. As far as who his opponent will be, that is still not confirmed.

According to Attar, an official announcement is imminent and nothing — legal or other — is standing in his way from making his return at the moment. Furthermore, he admits that Donald Cerrone is one of the top options.

“We’ve both agreed on a date and we’ve agreed on opponents,” Attar said. “A deal is imminent. I don’t see anything getting in the way barring some unforeseen circumstances. I think both parties want to get it done. I think it’s in the best in interest of everyone involved.”

Regarding a fight against Jorge Masvidal — who defeated Nate Diaz at UFC 244 last Saturday night (Nov. 2, 2019) — Audie confirmed that “Gamebred” is in fact on McGregor’s radar.