The biggest boxing fight of the year delivered as anticipated last night (Sat., Sept. 15, 2018) live on HBO pay-per-view (PPV) from inside T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, as Canelo Alvarez put the pressure on Gennady Golovkin to eventually capture a majority decision win.
The rematch was a lot different than the original as Canelo backed GGG up early. Golovkin scored some good offense with a lead jab and good combinations that opened up a cut on Alvarez’s left eye, but he didn’t offer the command needed to lead this fight.
In stepped Canelo with furious hooks to the body and relentless offense down the pipe. He had to absorb a ridiculous amount of damage to take control, but was more than willing to take one to give one. As a result, the Mexican fighter was able to edge out GGG and walk away with the decision nod.
Check out the full fight video highlights below:
With this performance, Canelo earns back whatever momentum he may have lost from his draw opposite GGG this time last year. The 28-year-old middleweight champion is arguably the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world right now and is easily one of the biggest PPV draws in the sport.
It’s a tremendous combination that will lead Canelo to more high-profile accomplishments like this one.
For complete ‘Canelo vs. GGG 2’ results and coverage click here.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage