Ahead of this Saturday night’s (July 28, 2018) UFC on FOX 30 event in Calgary, Alberta, Canada featuring a rematch between Eddie Alvarez and Dustin Poirier, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has unveiled its top five fights to ever go down in “The Great White North.”
There were plenty to choose form, but only those that went above and beyond expectations made the cut. Check them out:
5. Jose Aldo vs Mark Hominick at UFC 129 in Toronto.
4. Rich Franklin vs Chuck Liddell at UFC 115 in Vancouver.
3. Georges St-Pierre vs Carlos Condit at UFC 154 in Montreal.
2. Cub Swanson vs Doo Ho Choi at UFC 206 in 2016 in Toronto.
1. Jon Jones vs Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165 in 2013 in Toronto.
There have been several other notable matchups to go down in Canada that didn’t make the cut, such as Mauricio Rua knocking out Chuck Liddell at UFC 197 in Montreal, or Robbie Lawler’s barn-burner against Rafael dos Anjos in Winnipeg.
Of course, we can’t forget Jon Jones choking the life out of Lyoto Machida at UFC 140 in Toronto.
Nevertheless, with several intriguing matchups going down this Saturday night in Calgary, such as Jose Aldo vs. Jeremy Stephens and Joanna Jędrzejczyk vs. Tecia Torres, as well as Alvarez vs. Poirier, we could witness another classic which could break into the top five.
For more on the upcoming UFC on FOX 30: “Alvarez vs Poirier 2” event click here.