clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Combate Americas withdraws lucrative offer to Yair Rodriguez, one that would have paid him significantly more than UFC

You snooze, you lose?

MMA: UFC 211-Edgar vs Rodriguez Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight phenom, Yair Rodriguez, told the mixed martial arts (MMA) universe that he was entertaining multiple offers from combat sports promotions after parting ways with Dana White and Co. earlier this month.

That includes Combate Americas, which not only has a stranglehold on the Latin American fight market, but also beat Bellator MMA in stateside ratings a few weeks back with its “Estrellas” event on Univision.

But the chances of seeing “Pantera” inside “La Jaula” appear to have evaporated on Friday after the promotion withdrew its offer, which sources indicate was significantly higher than what Rodriguez was making under the UFC banner.

“We wish Yair the best of luck in his career,” Combate Americas officials told MMAmania.com when asked for comment.

The Mexican-born striker, 25, banked $100,000 ($50,000 to show, $50,000 to win) for his technical knockout win over BJ Penn at UFC Fight Night 103 in early 2017, the last disclosed payout available prior to his departure.

No doubt this news will be a disappointment for Hispanic MMA fans. Erik “Goyito” Perez joined Combate Americas on a three-fight win streak for UFC and is essentially a god in Mexico, where the organization airs on broadcast television.

Rodriguez (10-2) is still fielding offers from available promotions, including Bellator MMA.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Mania Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Mania