Setting up a much-anticipated rematch between Dustin Poirier and Eddie Alvarez has been a tough nut to crack for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). Alvarez has long been opposed to a rematch between he and “The Diamond” after their UFC 211 bout ended in a no-contest (see why here). For “The Underground King,” taking a step backward simply wasn’t in the cards.
Poirier, meanwhile, revealed UFC tried to make the bout on five different occasions, with Alvarez turning every one of them down. Furthermore, Eddie recently revealed he wouldn’t even think about fighting until he earned a new contract.
It seems that part is done, as Eddie took to social media to announce he’d be seeing Poirier at UFC on FOX 30 on July 28, 2018 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. He also shot down any notion that he declined fights in the past.
At first, it seemed Dustin wasn’t too interested in the bout after Alvarez missed his deadline.
“For me, the fight’s not happening – unless something changes huge, (or) unless they offer me money,” Poirier told MMAjunkie on Wednesday (May 9, 2018). “I’ll fight him on another date.”
“I gave him a week deadline for the first time I accepted the fight last week,” Poirier said. “I gave him the whole week, and he still didn’t accept. Then we talked to the UFC and extended it to Monday for him to say yes.
“He still didn’t say yes, so pretty much everything they’re saying now, I don’t know. I’m not even talking with (the UFC).”
It’s important to note that Eddie’s tweet was almost a day after Dustin’s interview, and “The Diamond” has finally come through, after UFC reportedly sweetened his deal.
UFC on FOX 30 currently features a co-main event between Jose Aldo and Jeremy Stephens, as well as a women’s Strawweight showdown that will see Joanna Jedrzejczyk face Tecia Torres.