Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has officially booked a women’s Bantamweight title fight between current division champion Amanda Nunes defending her strap against Raquel Pennington at the upcoming UFC 224 pay-per0view (PPV) event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
“Lioness” hasn’t competed since September of 2017 after she outscored Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 215. Prior to that, Nunes had an even better showing by knocking out former division queen Ronda Rousey in under two minutes.
As for “Rocky,” she fought her way up the 135-pound ladder by winning four in a row, and hasn’t tasted defeat since losing a close decision to another former champion, Holly Holm, way back in 2015.
UFC president Dana White hinted at the possibility of booking Cris Cyborg to face off against Nunes, instead, but apparently things didn’t pan out, as Cris recently revealed she wanted to take a break after fighting three times in only seven months.
Nevertheless, Cyborg will be an interested observer come May 12, as she still hopes to secure a showdown against Amanda down the road. UFC 224 will also feature a Middleweight bout between Lyoto Machida and Vitor Belfort in what will be “The Phenom’s” final MMA fight.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage