Valentina Shevchenko was simply too much for Joanna Jedrzejczyk last night (Sat., Dec. 8, 2018) at UFC 231 live on pay-per-view (PPV) from inside Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, as “Bullet” defeated the former UFC women’s strawweight champion via unanimous decision to claim the vacant women’s flyweight title.
It was all Shevchenko in the early going. The Polish contender utilized her strength and positioning to get inside on Joanna and secure a few slamming takedowns. Jedrzejczyk did get back to her feet, but Shevchenko made her pay with spinning kicks to the body and front kicks to the face.
Shevchenko did fade a bit in the later rounds which allowed Joanna to tally some points on the scorecards, but it was simply too late. Shevchenko was the better and more effective fighter throughout this championship bout and proved that 125 pounds is really the best division for her.
Check out the full fight video highlights above courtesy of UFC.
With this performance, Shevchenko becomes the new UFC women’s flyweight champion. Her skill set is tailor made to reign supreme atop the 125-pound throne for a long time so it will be interesting to see who she takes on next
Maybe a matchup with the always game Jessica Eye?
For complete UFC 231 results and coverage click here.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage