clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

UFC 213 results: Rob Font stalks, hurts and chokes Douglas Silva de Andrade into submission

MMA: UFC Fight Night-Font vs Gomez Bob DeChiara-USA TODAY Sports

Bantamweight veterans Rob Font and Douglas Silva de Andrade kicked off UFC 213’s pay-per-view (PPV) main card tonight (Sat., July 8, 2017) inside T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. And it was an action-packed 135-pound scrap while it lasted, with Font stalking, hurting and then choking Silva de Andrade into submission in the second round.

Both fighters met in the center of the Octagon ready to mix it up, trading hard leg kicks and punches. Less than one minute in Font dove in for a takedown, which Silva de Andrade battled for a bit before dropping to his back in a defensive position. Font dropped elbows as Silva de Andrade struggled to break free. Silva de Andrade was able to buck him off and in the scramble Font locked in a standing guillotine choke that he quickly released. On the break Font landed a crisp left jab that snapped Silva de Andrade’s head straight back. He landed a sick one-two combination shortly thereafter, but Silva de Andrade claimed he poked him in the eye inadvertently, causing a brief referee stoppage. Font continued to keep up the pressure as the round began to wind down, eating a nice left hook from Silva de Andrade at about the 30-second mark. Font landed a solid knee to Silva de Andrade’s face, which he transitioned into a tight guillotine choke, but he ultimately ran out of time.

Font came out of his corner on fire to start round two, throwing kicks and punches that kept Silva de Andrade on his heels. Both fighters traded wild haymakers in the center of the Octagon, but neither man seemed to flinch. Font connected with a nice uppercut along the cage and Silva de Andrade attempted to return fire, but just missed his mark. However, a solid straight right hand shortly thereafter did not, landing flush on Font’s left jaw. Font, though, walked right through it and continued to keep the pedal to the metal, drilling Silva de Andrade with knees and shots to the body. He was able to daze Silva de Andrade along the fence and hurt him, but rather than continue to piece him up on the feet, he went for a takedown, which Silva de Andrade used to recover. Silva de Andrade was able to get back on his feet, but Font once again transitioned the scramble into a standing guillotine choke. Silva de Andrade stood up and slammed Font to try and get him off his neck, but Font was able to hold on and then tighten his grip while on his back, forcing Silva de Andrade to tap with less than one minute remaining in the round.

It was an impressive performance for Font, who now has four wins in five UFC appearances, the lone loss a decision to top-ranked division contender, John Lineker. There’s no shame in that whatsoever; in fact, his resume and smooth performance tonight bodes well for his future inside the Octagon.

For complete UFC 213: “Romero vs. Whittaker” results, including play-by-play updates, click here.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Mania Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Mania