Anderson Silva is once again upset with his employers at Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). After Kelvin Gastelum was forced out of his proposed fight against “The Spider” at UFC 212 on June 3, 2017, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, due to a failed drug test, company officials failed to give Silva a replacement bout.
Sick and tired of playing the waiting game, Silva unleashed verbal warfare on the promotion, saying that he’s very disappointed with his employers because he’s worked his ass off and the promotion can’t seem to get him what he wants after years of loyal service.
“I’ve been in Rio a long time, started training camp and I am very frustrated because nothing happens with my fight in Rio. I don’t know, the guys don’t talk to me. Sometimes they say fights coming, no fight come and now, nothing happens. They gave me the option to fight for my country for my fans,” he said during a recent appearance on “The MMA Hour.”
“I stayed here for a long time for training,” Silva contined. “This is not my fault for Gastelum to go out of the fight. This is not my problem. My problem is training hard for fight in Brazil for my fans. What happens to my fans now? What happens to the people who paid to see my fight in Brazil. This is the second time this happened. I’m tired of this.”
Now, the former Middleweight champion claims that if he doesn’t get an interim title fight against Romero — and fast — he is done with the promotion. That’s because other options given to him simply don’t make sense.
“The guys no give this fight for me for the interim belt, I’m done,” Silva said. “I’ll go be with my family. I’m done,” said Silva (via MMA Fighting). “I say, ‘OK, I go fight Yoel Romero. Because I know I respect Yoel Romero, he’s a great fighter. He’s No. 1 in the ranks. But, one thing — why Yoel Romero come to Brazil for fight me for nothing?”
Romero had previously stated he’d be interested in a bout against Silva for the interim strap, and even called in to reiterate his stance while “The Spider” was on the phone.
For Silva, though, he no longer has the title, he believes his long-standing history with the promotion, as well as his long title reign before losing the belt, should be enough to get him a big fight. And he’s tired of not feeling the love from the promotion for which he’s done everything.
“This is perfect bullshit,” Silva said. “I’m tired. I’m so tired. I’m respectful long time. Everything, I never talk about bad situations in UFC. … I think I’m done. I fight for long time in my life. And I’m tired, bro. I’m so upset. I have my legacy, I have my story. It’s very frustrating, because this is the second time I’m not fighting in my country.”
Silva -- who has done plenty of solids for UFC, including taking on current UFC Light Heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier on days notice at UFC 200 last year — says he is done saying “Okay” to UFC for everything, and wants some appreciation show to him.
If not, then he will walk away from the company ... and the fight game.
“I’m far too old and I’m done, bro,” Silva said. “I’m sorry. I know I need to respect my fans — I respect my fans. I’m sorry guys. I love the sport. I love fighting. Fighting is my life. But, it’s too much bullshit.”
Furthermore, “The Spider” -- who was last seen defeating Derek Brunson at UFC 208 earlier this year — is upset that Dana White and Co. didn’t live up to their word after he was informed that once Georges St-Pierre returned to action, he would get to face him.