Earlier today (March 22, 2017), Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) drastically reduced Conor McGregor’s fine for his part in the ugly water bottle-throwing fight he got into with Nate Diaz and his camp during a UFC 202 press conference last year (see it). Originally, “Notorious” was fined $150,000 and sentenced to 50 hours of community service for his part in the melee, but was ultimately dropped down to $25,000 and 25 hours.
Now, NSAC wants to give Diaz a chance to get his own punishment reduced if he opts for a re-hearing.
“We’re going to reach out to Nate and let him know that what’s fair is fair,” NSAC chairman Anthony Marnell told MMA Junkie. “He has an opportunity to come back before us if he’d like to and we will make that as painless and cheap as possible.”
“I think you heard Attorney General Bateman talk about today was not a percentage of the purse, but a fine that is equivalent and equal for the actions taken. If we were to do that, we could speculate right now that the commission would probably have some sort of reduction and some sort of refund coming back to Nate,” said Marnell.
According to NSAC’s Chairman, Diaz took care of his fine pretty quickly.
“His was done and done. It was heard, check got sent in and it was over. We do have a refund process if we did re-hear it,” he added. “I just want to make sure, my number one goal is fairness. Sometimes we’ve gotten out, and I think the public might see us getting really lopsided on some of these things, and I’m really trying to bring that in and keep it on the real. I want to keep it fair for the fighters, and if we do something like we did today, we need to do it for the other,” concluded Marnell.
Whether or not Diaz opts for a re-hearing remains to be seen. But, with the chances to get some major coin back in his pocket, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to take a quick trip over to “Sin City.”