Ronaldo Souza further cemented his case as a legit title contender in Ultimate Fighting Championship’s (UFC) crowed Middleweight division by soundly defeating Tim Boetsch at last nights (Sat., Feb. 11, 2017) UFC 208 pay-per-view (PPV) event in Brooklyn, New York via first-round submission.
The only problem is he will have to wait a while for his first-ever UFC title fight, as Yoel Romero is expected to face current champion Michael Bisping in May after "The Count" recovers from knee surgery. That means "Jacare" would likely face the winner in the late part of 2017.
That’s too long of a wait for the submission wizard, who declared he’s not about to sit around and do nothing.
"I want to fight the champion, but if that’s going to take a while, I prefer to take another fight because I don’t want to sit around, I wasn’t born to sit around," Souza said during the UFC 208 post-fight conference via MMA Fighting. "So I’ll take another fight if it’s going to take too long to get a title shot."
Souza previously stated that he would likely be facing Romero next, as he wasn’t too confident Bisping would eventually many up to defend his title. Should that be the route the promotion goes, Ronaldo is all for it.
"Yes, of course that’s an option, that’s a fight I want," ‘Jacare’ said. "I’ve never lost a rematch, and with Romero, it’s not going to be any different. I’ll prove I didn’t lose to him, I lost to the judges."
"Jacare" lost a split-decision to "Soldier of God" at UFC 194 in December of 2015, though the win was somewhat clouded in controversy for Romero, as he was notified of a potential violation by United States Anti Doping Agency (USADA).
Should Romero opt to wait for Bisping, there are still plenty of challenges for Souza, as he can always face Luke Rockhold after their rematch — which was set to go down at UFC Fight Night 99 last year -- was scratched after Luke was bounced with an injury.
Unless, of course, you have another idea?