Max Holloway defeated Jose Aldo for the second time this year by knocking out the former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Featherweight champion in the main event of last night’s (Sat., Dec. 2, 2017) UFC 218 event in Detroit, Michigan.
With “Junior” firmly in “Blessed’s” rear-view mirror, the current 145-pound champion is ready to take on the new cupcake flavor, but if the promotion wants him to have another taste against Conor McGregor, the Hawaiian-born fighter is all for it, though he doesn’t expect “Notorious” to come out of retirement.
“Like I said, I’m the champion of my division and I’ve got to keep everything rolling,” said Holloway during the post-fight press conference. “I’ve got to keep everything going. I’ve got a throne to defend. I’m not going on hiatus. As long as I get contenders, I’m going to fight,” said Max via Pundit Arena, whose next title defense could come against Frankie Edgar. That said, if the chance to rematch McGregor presents itself, he’s all for it.
“But if UFC call me out for that reason, any reason for fighting him, I’ll gladly fight him. If the Conor fight don’t happen, it’s not on my side, I’ll tell you guys right now. It’s not on my side. It’s on their team. Their team is talking about me all the time, they’re talking about how I’m the best guy in the world blah, blah, blah, this and that,” added Holloway.
“Conor… Right now, Conor – really think about this, right now Conor is talking about fighting Paulie Malignaggi in MMA. Just let that sink in, you know. Paulie Malignaggi in MMA. I don’t know what to say. I don’t know what to say after that.”
And earlier today, McGregor and Holloway took shots an one another on social media, as “Notorious” went back to the vault to the night he defeated Holloway — Max’s last loss — in Boston.
I miss those sunglasses. pic.twitter.com/0fa7U9dM4Y— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) December 3, 2017
Of course, Max’s Twitter fingers didn’t stand by and do “fooking nothing,” as “Blessed” responded by reminding Conor of his accolades, which are an upgrade from McGregor’s time as champion.
Miss the sunglasses? I bet you also miss 2015 brother. Retired fighters love the past. pic.twitter.com/UWGnJG2KEe— Max Holloway (@BlessedMMA) December 3, 2017
As far as the possibility of the two men running it back, Dana White isn’t so optimistic, but won’t take anything off the table.
“Again, like I said last week to everybody who was at my office, who knows if Conor is even going to fight again? So, I’m rolling like he’s not,” said White during the presser. “So, yeah, if Conor comes back and defends the title and, you know, anything is possible.”
While fight fans would love nothing more than to see McGregor vs Holloway 2, “Notorious” still has a Lightweight title to defend. Assuming, of course, he handles this other little issue with a certain infamous crime family.