So now that we’ve exhausted all possible angles for the Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. rematch that will never happen, and because nobody gives a shit about Paulie Malignaggi, we will now turn our attention to a possible boxing showdown against Oscar De La Hoya.
Yes, the same “Golden Boy” who lit up the UFC champion — and his superiors — for what he called a combat sports “farce.” I guess now that he saw what kind of money the fighting Irish(man) can generate (see it), it’s not such a silly proposition.
Here’s Bovada’s opening odds for a potential McGregor vs. De La Hoya fight:
Oscar De La Hoya vs. Conor McGregor
Oscar De La Hoya: -140 (5/7)
Conor McGregor: EVEN (1/1)
Will Oscar De La Hoya Fight in 2018?
Yes: +300 (3/1)
No: -500 (1/5)
Will Oscar De La Hoya Fight Conor McGregor in 2018?
Yes: +400 (4/1)
No: -700 (1/7)
De La Hoya, 44, retired in late 2008 after losing to Manny Pacquiao.
It’s hard to imagine McGregor — currently in hot water for his Bellator meltdown — leaving to box De La Hoya, or anyone else for that matter, after promising to unify the lightweight titles against the eternally patient Tony Ferguson, who captured the interim strap back in October.
Then again, we still need a fight to get this venture off the ground.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage