That answers this question.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) was interested in having former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz return to the Octagon for a 170-pound title fight against reigning division kingpin (and lesser draw) Tyron Woodley.
Where and when?
At the upcoming UFC 209 pay-per-view (PPV) event, scheduled for Sat., March 4, 2017 inside T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Securing a championship title fight after failing to notch a win in over five years (plus this) is nothing short of remarkable and a testament to how popular Diaz is among the mixed martial arts (MMA) fan base.
Not surprisingly, Diaz wants to be paid as such.
Tyron Woodley tells me the UFC offered Nick Diaz a fight against him for UFC 209. Woodley says Diaz declined b/c Diaz wanted more money.— Luke Thomas (@SBNLukeThomas) January 12, 2017
Unfortunately for Diaz — as well as Woodley — the UFC moneyman has short arms and deep pockets, balking at the Stockton slugger’s exorbitant demands. While exact figures are unknown, I have to believe these guys stick together.
In his absence, Woodley will move on to rematch Stephen Thompson in the UFC 209 headliner (details), a rematch from their five-round war at UFC 205 last November in New York, one that ended in a disappointing draw.
Blame the “idiot”.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage