Back in summer of 2012, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight contender Chael Sonnen tried to beat Anderson Silva by way of spinning backlist, which of course failed, because "The Spider" was the best striker at 185 pounds and "The American Gangster" was not.
CM Punk, then WWE champion, parodied Sonnen's collapse with an in-ring reenactment that saw dance partner Daniel Bryan play the role of the Brazilian (see the video here). Fast forward roughly four years and it's Punk's turn to get spoofed after Mickey Gall ate his lunch at UFC 203.
From Sunday's "Backlash" event on the WWE Network:
See how that compares to the real thing here.
For much more on Punk's mixed martial arts (MMA) debut, which took place last Saturday night (Sept. 10, 2016) inside Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, click here.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage