One and done?
Former WWE superstar CM Punk, who made his mixed martial arts (MMA) debut at the UFC 203 pay-per-view (PPV) event last Saturday night (Sept. 10, 2016) inside Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, was unsure if his job was in jeopardy come Sunday morning.
Consider it, at the very minimum, on hold.
"He probably shouldn't have his next fight in the UFC," promotion president Dana White told Fight Network's John Pollock. "Just like I said with Brock, having your first fight in the UFC is tough and you [saw], even if it's against a guy who is 2-0. This is a tough place to learn."
Punk was creamed by regional import Mickey Gall (video replay here).
A trip to Bellator MMA is unlikely, based on the contentious relationship between UFC and the Viacom-owned promotion. That said, World Series of Fighting (WSOF) is on friendlier terms and may provide a softer landing. There is no timetable for Punk's return, but at age 37, the clock is ticking.
For much more on UFC 203 click here.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage