clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

UFC 203 results: Fabricio Werdum decisions injured Travis Browne, kicks Ronda Rousey's coach in post-fight scuffle

Buda Mendes/Getty Images

After Ben Rothwell fell off UFC 203, which took place tonight (Sept., 10, 2016) inside Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, Travis Browne jumped at the chance to rematch Fabricio Werdum, who defeated "Hapa" via unanimous decision two years ago.

It wasn't a wise decision, as Browne dropped a very uninspired unanimous decision, perhaps because of a hand injury suffered early in the fight.

The action popped off immediately, as Werdum flew across the cage before the referee could even get out of the center of the Octagon with a flying side kick that clipped Browne's chin. Werdum kept up the pressure, chasing Browne around the Octagon and winging punches. In an exchange, Browne called timeout and, oddly, the referee awarded it to him, but not before Werdum got in a nice shot. Browne called for the ringside physician with an apparent hand injury -- he was clearly in pain -- but decided to resume fighting once the referee realized there are no timeouts in cage fights. Shortly after the restart, Werdum landed a nice combination along the fence that wobbled Browne a bit, but he was able to shake off the cobwebs quickly. With one minute remaining, Werdum dropped Browne with a looping overhand shot to the forehead, giving the Brazilian the opportunity to climb on his back. Werdum angled for a rear-naked choke and Browne defended, rolling to his belly and waiting for the bell to save him from additional abuse.

Both fighters traded hard shots to start the second as Werdum dove in for a takedown that Browne was able to step out of. After about a minute-long stalemate, Werdum landed a nice inside leg kick as Browne pumped jabs into the air. It didn't take long for the crowd to voice its displeasure with the non-action, compelling both fighters to trade leg kicks. Browne wound up with a looping hook to the body as Werdum responded with a crisp jab. The second round was not very productive for Browne, who appeared to coast and not throw much of anything.

In the third and final frame, it was Werdum who once again was the aggressor. Not even really sure what Browne was doing -- he was just standing there at times, refusing to let his hands go. In fact, the hulking Hawaiian essentially refused to truly engage until about the two-minute mark. And, by that time, he was far behind on the judges scorecards. It was a very puzzling performance, perhaps impacted by the hand injury suffered in the opening round. Regardless, it was his second straight loss and he has dropped three of his last four. Werdum, meanwhile, preserves his status as the No. 1-ranked contender and will either get an opportunity to win back his belt or rematch Cain Velasquez next.

As if the fight wasn't bizarre enough, Werdum locked eyes with Edmond Tarverdyan, who is most recognized as the head trainer for Ronda Rousey. Words were exchanged and Werdum uncorked a kick that hit Tarverdyan in the side before officials inside the Octagon could get control of the situation. It could have turned ugly, but fortunately cooler heads prevailed.

For complete results from UFC 203: "Miocic vs. Overeem," including play-by-play updates, click here and here.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Mania Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Mania