In five months, Nate Diaz became a needle-mover -- something Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White said the Stockton slugger was unable to do a few years back. Much of the credit can be attributed to his short-notice submission win over current Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Featherweight champion Conor McGregor at UFC 196 (see the full fight here).
Indeed, from appearing on "The Conan O’Brien Show" and "Jimmy Kimmel Live," things have been great for the Stockton slugger since he derailed the Irish hype train earlier this year. And his pockets haven't been hurting, either. Diaz wants to keep filling his pockets with big fights, like his upcoming rematch against "Notorious" at UFC 202, which is set to go down this weekend (Sat., Aug. 20, 2016) in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Meanwhile, fights against Lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez and Welterweight kingpin Tyron Woodley do nothing for his finances, which is the reason Diaz claims he isn’t interested in match ups against champions who fight fans don’t really know or follow.
"I think those guys need to get to work and do a little something for themselves because don’t no one even know their names. I'm not interested in those fights," he declared during the UFC 202 pre-fight press conference (video replay here) courtesy of Fox Sports. "They want to make history, they want to fight me and (Conor McGregor), it's like do something yourself first and make some noise and create something," Diaz said. "Otherwise, I'm just fighting another guy because he's got a belt? I don't think that's a very big deal."
Alvarez has already expressed his interest in taking on the winner of "Diaz vs. McGregor 2," however, that is unlikely to happen as Conor will head back down to 145 pounds to defend his belt. As for Diaz, there’s no telling where he will go after UFC 202, but it won’t be in a cage to fight "The Underground King" Or "The Chosen One."