Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is working on a bantamweight showdown between Cody Garbrandt and Takeya Mizugaki for its upcoming UFC 202 pay-per-view (PPV) event, scheduled for Aug. 20, 2016 inside T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
MMA Fighting brought word of the match up earlier today.
The pairing is a bit surprising when you consider that Garbrandt (9-0), fresh off his destruction of Thomas Almeida back in May, is ranked No. 7 in the 135-pound division and much closer to a potential bantamweight title shot than his Japanese counterpart.
Mizugaki (21-9-2), ranked No. 11, recently snapped a two-fight skid by out-pointing George Roop in late 2015.
UFC 202 will be headlined by the welterweight rematch between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz, who first went to war at UFC 196 back in March. No other bouts have been set for the Aug. 20 card at this time; however, you can expect that to change in the coming weeks, if not days.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage