Captain America and Iron Man weren't the only ones involved in a civil war.
Conor McGregor recently had a sit down with Ultimate Fighting Championship higher-ups Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta at a swanky Beverly Hills restaurant to discuss their business moving forward.
This, after "Notorious" was yanked from his headlining duties at UFC 200, which would have seen him rematch Nate Diaz on July 9, 2016 one the biggest pay-per-view (PPV) event of all time in Las Vegas, Nevada. Instead, words were said, retirements were planned and the much-anticipated rematch with Diaz was no more.
As he recently declared on ESPN's "Sunday Conversation" with Kenny Mayne, the two sides are in a good place now after what he described as "a very-publicized civil war."
"I was in a time where I was like, figuring out something. I didn't just shut out and say no to everything. I just wanted to do reasonable media, and then, hey, all of a sudden, ‘Conor, it's three months from the fight, we've got to drag you (onto) 40-hour flights to come and do a runaround, New York, Vegas, California, 70 press conferences, 70 talk shows, adverts, all of this,' and it's like, I already made you $400 million last week. That was only last week, that fight. I need to get right. That's how it all came about. I just wanted to focus and I was deep in the process, and especially at that particular moment, I just wanted a little bit more time. I didn't shut it off completely. Reasonable media, is what I said. I said I would do New York. I said I would do everything else after that. I just needed another little bit to set myself, and then the lack of communication, they weren't having it. They were trying to push back on me, I was trying to push back on them, and look, it blew up then."
Hindsight being 20/20, Conor says there were times where he wishes he would have just went with the flow and obliged with all media duties. Still, he admits it was "amusing" seeing everything blow up the way it did.
"I'll tell you what, it blew up. I was just kind of having fun at the start. It was kind of half-hearted, and then it just went [crazy], and now all of a sudden you're off UFC 200, and I was like, ‘alright, well fuck you too then.' It was fun. Seeing it all blow up like that, it was amusing for a while. There were times when I was ... seeing the press conferences take place, and I was like, ah, I should've just jumped on the damn flight. I should've just stuck it out and went with it. But sometimes you've gotta do what's right for you, and not do what's right for everybody else -- and especially if you've done what's right for everybody else a million times over, you should have the right to be able to do what's right for you sometimes. That's what I felt."
According to Conor, after their chat over some fine dinner, both parties are putting emotions aside and moving forward to what is sure-to-be a lucrative partnership.
The same, apparently, can't be said about the man who recently defeated him.