Michael Bisping picked up the biggest win of his mixed martial arts (MMA) career after defeating Anderson Silva in the main event of UFC Fight Night 84, which went down on last night (Sat., Feb. 27, 2016) from the O2 Arena in London, England (highlights here).
Naturally, many expected "The Count" to lobby for his long-awaited shot at the Middleweight strap following the monumental victory. But as he told MMA Fighting after the fight, his next bout was the furthest thing from his mind, as his thoughts were on more important things.
"I don't know. I should have done it but it never occurred to me at the time. I guess it was just relief and emotion. For me this was a personal challenge and I overcame that. So I wasn't thinking about my next fight, I was thinking about, you know, my children and my family and that is why I got a little emotional. So I was not thinking about my next fight.
Can't blame the man for that.
That said, with a victory over the former pound-for-pound best fighter on the planet now on his resume, Bisping can start a campaign to get a shot at the division strap. One that has alluded him throughout his decade-long tenure with the promotion.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage