It's all over. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight king Eddie Alvarez welcomed featherweight champion Conor McGregor to the 155-pound division last night (Sat., Nov. 12, 2016) at UFC 205 live on pay-per-view (PPV) from Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York. The two squared off in a main event for the ages, seeing as "Notorious" was aiming to become the first fighter in promotional history to simultaneously hold two titles.
It was a first round for McGregor, knocking Alvarez down three times and launching his left hand at will. Alvarez seemed tired from the opening bell and never really threatened with offense. McGregor even defended two takedowns. And in Round 2, McGregor became the first fighter in UFC history to hold two championship belts, sending Alvarez to the canvas with a four-piece combo. The new lightweight champion earned yet another Octagon TKO.
The full video highlights can be seen above courtesy of UFC.
With this win, McGregor etches himself in MMA history. Not only did he showcase an improved takedown defense and spectacular spacing on the feet, but he finished one of the toughest outs in the lightweight division. Who knows what's next for the biggest name in the sport.
For complete UFC 205 results and coverage click here.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage