It didn't take long for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Middleweight contender Derek Brunson to dispose of Sam Alvey at UFC Fight Night 73 (full results here) last night (Sat., Aug. 8, 2015).
The 31-year-old Brunson made "Smile'n" Sam pay dearly with multiple left hands, stopping the Team Quest-trained standout little more than two minutes into the first round of their FOX Sports 1-televised main card exchange (recap here), which took place inside Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee.
Brunson took off right out of the gate, clobbering Alvey against the cage. From that point on, he connected on several hawmakers -- and though Alvey stood tough -- referee Mario Yamisaki saw enough, calling the tilt at 2:19 of the first round.
The victory is Brunson's second-straight, technical knockout finish in the first round. His overall record improves to 14-3, 5-1 UFC. He also becomes the first fighter to finish Alvey via strikes.
Meanwhile, Alvey's three-fight win streak is snapped, bringing his overall record to 26-7-(1), 3-2 UFC.
For complete UFC Fight Night 73: "Teixeira vs. Saint Preux" results, including play-by-play updates, click here.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage