Now that Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has named Cain Velasquez as the next man to fight for the 265-pound title -- the same one he coughed up last June in Mexico -- the promotion can move forward and deliver its marching orders to the rest of the heavyweight division.
Starting with Stipe Miocic.
While the Croat was in the running for a crack at the division crown, he'll instead throw hands against the resurgent Ben Rothwell (35-9), according to MMA Junkie, after the "Big" mixed martial arts (MMA) veteran was able to string together three straight wins -- and finishes.
Miocic (13-2) is 4-1 over his last five and coming off a technical knockout win over Mark Hunt in Australia. Whether or not the winner of this fight gets a title shot in 2016 could depend on the outcome of this.
First things first.
Their UFC Fight Pass bout is expected to co-headline the UFC Fight Night 76 event on Oct. 24, 2015, inside 3Arena in Dublin, Ireland. That's where Dustin Poirier tries to quell the uprising of "Irish" Joe Duffy in the five-round lightweight main event.
For more on the promotion's return to Dublin click here.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage